Webinar Recap: Unlocking the Full Value of Telemetry Data
Growth of cloud computing and the preference for data-driven decision-making have led to a steady increase in investments in observability over the years. Telemetry data is recognized as not only critical for maintaining a company’s infrastructure, but also for aiding security and business teams in making informed decisions.
However, just increasing investment in observability technology is not enough. To unlock the full potential and value of telemetry data, organizations must address growing data volume and complexity. Additionally, they must also define winning strategies that can help them derive insights and get faster time to value while ensuring regulatory compliance.
To help organizations overcome these challenges, Mezmo Sr. Director of Product Ashka Vakil and Ventana Research VP & Research Director Matt Aslett dove into the strategies for maximizing observability investments in the webinar, "Unlocking the Full Value of Telemetry Data: Overcoming Challenges and Streamlining Your Strategy." They discussed and shared best practices and considerations for defining a streamlined strategy for telemetry data, including balancing greater insight with the cost of managing higher data volumes, achieving wider adoption across various use cases, better understanding of the business context, ensuring regulatory compliance, and addressing data distribution and fragmentation to derive insights and get faster time to value from telemetry data.
Attendees left the webinar with a better understanding of how to maximize the value of telemetry data and improve observability across their organizations.
We’ve got you covered if you missed the webinar.
You can watch it on-demand here.
During the webinar, Ashka and Matt highlighted five key considerations for getting the most from telemetry data:
- Balancing the cost/value of high data volumes: Finding the right balance between the cost of managing large amounts of telemetry data and the value that data can provide to the organization.
- Enabling wider adoption across multiple use cases: Ensuring that telemetry data can be used effectively across different teams and departments within an organization, with multiple use cases and applications.
- Understanding the business context of IT issues: Recognizing how IT issues impact the organization as a whole, including business operations and customer experience.
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements: Adhering to regulatory guidelines and requirements related to data privacy and security, to prevent compliance-related risks.
- Addressing data distribution/fragmentation: Addressing the challenges of managing data across multiple locations and systems, to ensure that telemetry data can be accessed and utilized effectively.
Additionally, an interactive segment during the webinar was dedicated to polling the attendees about their current observability practices. Some of the insights are as follows:
- 71% of poll participants reported that their organization considers business context when responding to incidents.
- 50% of respondents reported that in order to balance cost and value of their telemetry data, they seek to filter and store relevant events only in their observability tool
One question that provided significant insights asked participants how many observability tools their organization uses.
The results revealed that a substantial 80% of respondents use a fairly high number, between 6 and 10 observability tools, while 20% reported using 1 tool..
This feedback reinforces a key discussion point from the webinar: the critical need to manage the complexity and volume of telemetry data effectively. Given that many organizations are leveraging a range of observability tools, they face the challenge of aggregating and interpreting data across these various sources to extract meaningful insights. To address this, the pair discussed the Mezmo Telemetry Pipeline, a telemetry pipeline solution that could help manage this data complexity, lower costs, improve data compliance, and enhance value while boosting overall observability across an organization.
During the webinar, attendees also had the opportunity to see a quick demo of Telemetry Pipeline in action.
Tip: For an overview of the Mezmo Telemetry Pipeline, watch this video.
Overall, the webinar provided valuable insights into how businesses can maximize the value of their telemetry data, addressing the challenges of growing data volume and complexity to derive insights and get faster time to value while ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Telemetry data is critical for maintaining a company's infrastructure and aiding security and business teams in making informed decisions.
- Organizations must address growing data volume and complexity to unlock the full potential of telemetry data.
- Defining a streamlined strategy can help organizations derive insights and get faster time to value while ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Addressing data distribution and fragmentation is essential for maximizing the value of telemetry data and improving observability across an organization.
Don't miss this opportunity to gain a better understanding of how to maximize the value of your telemetry data across your organization—watch the recording of the webinar now.
If you want to try it out for yourself, start using Mezmo Telemetry Pipeline for free here.